05 August 2015

Review: Grey

Author: EL James
Publisher: Vintage Books
Pages: 568
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Synopsis: Christian Grey exercises control in all things; his world is neat, disciplined, and utterly empty--until the day that Anastasia Steele falls into his office, in a tangle of shapely limbs and tumbling brown hair. He tries to forget her, but instead is swept up in a storm of emotion he cannot comprehend and cannot resist. Unlike any woman he has known before, shy, unworldly Ana seems to see right through him--past the business prodigy and the penthouse lifestyle to Christian's cold, wounded heart.

Will being with Ana dispel the horrors of his childhood that haunt Christian every night? Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsions to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?

Review: Beginning this book, I knew exactly what I was getting into. Part of the reason that I wanted to read this book was to know what it would be like to be inside Christian's head (it was kind of interesting experience) and to see the world of the novel through his eyes.

I am going to admit that it was quite entertaining to be inside Christian's head, as there really is a lot that is going on in there. Some things were a little bit surprising, but having read Fifty Shades of Grey first, it kind of makes a little more sense. I must admit that while I was reading this book, I half expected there to be an "Inner Goddess", and I was partially right. Christian really does seem to favour a certain part of his male anatomy, and it is very clear through some of his inner dialogue.

Another positive that this book had was that it allowed reads to perceive Ana in a very different way. Through her eyes she was showing reads a very self-deprecating character who really didn't think too highly over herself. Seeing here through Christian's eye's though, it completely changes and it is very obvious to see how much he does care for her. As well, I was also looking forward to seeing where he went some nights, or what he was thinking himself, rather than having Ana gauge his reactions, and a lot of times, it seemed as though she was off and made him sound so much harsher than he actually was.

With that being said, there are a few things that I did have issues with. One thing that I noticed was there EL James really likes to repeat a lot of phrases, and metaphors. Christian, while talking about Ana, seems to repeat a lot of very similar feelings to himself, over and over. Mid-way through the book I was slowly starting to get a bit peeved at it, and I just wanted him to tell her what he was thinking. It was a bit lack-luster in that sense. Even the writing in some places seemed very generic, and almost rushed. After putting out FSOG, while still keeping through to the story.

Overall, it wasn't my favourite read, nor would it be placed in a top 10, but it wasn't terrible. If she does put out the other two novels from Christian's POV, I will read them, because I'm  hooked enough in the story, that I want to know what he is thinking about certain events unfold for him. If you were a fan of the FSOG series, then I would definitely recommend picking this up and giving it a read.   


No comments:

Post a Comment