23 May 2015

Review: White Hot Kiss

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 400
Rating: 5 Stars


Synopsis: One kiss could be the last
Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses.
Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.
Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.
But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.


Review: I had been on quite a Jennifer L. Armentrout kick for some time. When I decided to pick up this book I didn’t think that I was going to be sorry, and I was right! This book was unlike anything that I was expecting it to be, and I absolutely loved it.

This story follows the life of seventeen-year-old Layla. Her world is dark, and mysterious, and when I started reading I was hooked from the very first page. In this world there is good and evil, demons and wardens. The obvious choice of what side to be on isn’t always the most obvious, and with this book you really do question which side is truly good and which side is truly evil. This book is completely different from any book that I have ever read before.

Ms. Armentrout has such a wonderful way with creating wonderful and relatable characters. This is Layla’s story, she is half-demon and half-warden, and throughout most of the story we see her struggling with some of her insecurities in trying to find out who she really is and which side is more prominent for her. I also have to add that she is quite a badass and is willing to go all in with everything that she decides to do. 

Next would have to be Zayne, the sort of boy next door who Layla has wanted to be with all of her life. While I found Zayne to be a likable character, there was just something about him that I wasn’t too sure about; it almost felt as though I couldn’t trust him. Apart from this, he really only does want what is the absolute best for Layla, and you definitely do pick up on how close these two are.

Then of course we have Roth, the final piece to this love triangle. As soon as Layla meets Roth, I loved him. He’s the complete opposite of Zayne. Where Zayne is the good, golden boy, Roth is the brooding, dark, and mysterious type. Kind of ironically, he has a “god-complex” in thinking that he is always right. He has his sweet and kind moments, and he is never afraid to be truthful with Layla.
It took me a little while to finish getting through this book, as things kept standing in the way of reading. This book has a fantastic plot and the pace is great. There really is no time for a dull moment in this book, especially with everything that is going down. When I did get around to the end, I was blown away by some of the surprises that came up and I did not see some of this coming. As I’m sitting here writing this, I am still thinking about the ending of this book and how it has taken me completely by surprise.



Once again Jennifer L. Armentrout has written a fantastic paranormal story. There are so many twists, and turns, and at the end of it is a completely mind-blowing conclusion that will leave you reaching for the next book! 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I do really love plot twists, especially those that I can't guess! :) The love triangle and cover has me a bit iffy but I'm definitely giving this book a try!
    Great review
    New follower via Bloglovin', mind following back?
    ~Fari 0:) @ My Little Corner for Books

    ReplyDelete