19 August 2013

Review: Hopeless


Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Pages: 406
Rating: 5 Stars 

Synopsis: Sky, a senior in high school, meets Dean Holder, a guy with a promiscuous reputation that rivals her own. From their very first encounter, he terrifies and captivates her. Something about him sparks memories of her deeply troubled past, a time she's tried so hard to bury. Though Sky is determined to stay far away from him, his unwavering pursuit and enigmatic smile break down her defenses and the intensity of the bond between them grows. But the mysterious Holder has been keep secrets of his own, and once they are revealed, Sky is changed forever and her ability to trust may be a casualty of the truth.

Only by courageously facing the stark revelations can Sky and Holder hope to heal their emotional scars and find a way to live and love without boundaries. Hopeless is a novel that will leave you breathless, entranced, and remembering your own first love.


Review: 
Hopeless was my first Colleen Hoover novel, and I can definitely say that it will not be my last! There is nothing that I like more than having an novel create emotions, and then make me feel them right along with the characters and that is exactly what Hopeless did. 

I want to start off my review by saying that in the first couple of pages, I wasn't exactly hooked on the story. It was enough to keep my attention and to keep me reading but that was about it. As soon as Holder is introduced, I was hooked! I absolutely love Colleen's writing style. Its witty and and its just plain enjoyable to read. As much as this was such a serious and gut-wrenching story, there were some scenes when you just couldn't help but laugh out loud. The dialogue was wonderful, and the same thing goes for the plot. 


In the beginning, I really wasn't sure how powerful this book was going to be. By the time that I reached the end of the book, I was literally <b>blown away</b>. I have read books before that have been intense and have left an impact on me, but Hopeless was <b>SO</b> much more than I was ever expecting it to be. I was left completely inspired by the end of it. 

Going into this book, I really had absolutely no idea what it was going to be about,apart from the synopsis that was given. I'm not going to go into any plot details, so that others who have not read this book can still enjoy the surprise of it,but I was completely floored. I find it so enjoyable when a book is able to completely shock me, and that's exactly what Hopeless has done. Usually, I can figured out what's going to happen with the plot, but that didn't happen at all with this book, and I think that Colleen Hoover has done such a wonderful job with building that suspense and keeping her readers guessing. 

I don't think that there was one character in this book that I didn't end up liking. It was pretty hard not to at least. The main character of this story is Sky, a young girl who is completely emotionally numb, and fully believes that she is in not capable of feeling anything. ..until Holder comes into the picture. He is the first guy to truly make Sky realize that she is capable of feelings, and he is the only guy who has been able to show this to her. Sky and Holder have a very real relationship, and its so enjoyable to see the chemistry that's there between them grow, and how their relationship eventually comes to be. 

Even now, I still cannot find a thing that I didn't like about this book. There really isn't anything that I could critique. This book has very easily become one of my favourite books that I have read this year. I'm definitely looking forward to reading Losing Hope. 

If you haven't checked out Hopeless, you need to do that,now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment