28 August 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars

Author: John Green
Pages: 313
Publisher: Dutton Books
Rating: 5 Stars 

Synopsis: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. 





Review:
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations." 


The Fault in Our Stars was my first John Green book, and I can say with confidence, that it won't be my last. I had been wanting to get this book for some time, but I was a bit nervous to read it, given its subject matter. But I had been hearing so many wonderful things, so I gave it a shot. I read it in one sitting! 

While I knew the gist of the story going into it, I didn't know everything. I went into this book expecting to cry, but I didn't. I was completely emotionally attached to these characters, but for some reason or another, I just didn't cry. This book was also completely not what I was expecting it to be. 

This story is told from the POV of Hazel, a sixteen year old, who had been diagnosed with Stage IV cancer. While she was terminal, she was placed on a miracle drug that allowed her to keep living. Despite some of the consequences of her illness, Hazel continues to live her life as best she can, surrounded by her friends and family. I absolutely loved being inside of Hazel's head and getting the story from her point of view. 

Then of course there is Augustus Waters.From the moment he entered the Support Group, it became impossible to not fall in love with him. He was just so swoony and witty. Its so hard to put into words how to describe him, it just seems easiest to say, that there is just something about him that makes you instantly like him. It was so much fun to see his and Hazel's friendship grow and the way that their relationship begins. 

I loved the dialogue in this book. There were so many beautiful quotes, that I cannot even begin to count them. In addition to these, I loved the banter between Hazel and Augustus. They were made so perfect for each other. You just can't help but be touched by their story. 

As I mentioned, this book was not at all what I was expecting it to be. Given its subject, I really thought that it was going to be a sad book all the way through, and it wasn't at all! Really, this book is just about two teenagers, who meet and fall in love. There were so many parts when it was just impossible not to smile or laugh (which is not something that I thought I was going to be doing). Of course, none of this is to say that there weren't any sad parts. Towards the end of the book, my heart was breaking, and I truly thought that I was going to cry, but the tears just didn't come. When I finished reading this book, I couldn't seem to Hazel and Augustus out of my head. It really made me think, a lot. 

Overall, I finished this book feeling completely inspired. It was so heartwarming that despite all that these two young people have been through in their lives, they are still able to wake up every day, and be happy, and live their lives to their absolute best.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this book! I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first John Green books as well, and I am glad we both loved it so much. You are absolutely right about the dialogue; like you said, it is beautiful, but it is also so humorous. I love how the characters make witty comment about their cancer, making this book, like you said, not entirely sad. I didn't cry either (I almost never cry while reading) but I did smile until my cheeks hurt, think until my brain hurt, and feel until my emotions hurt.

    I hope you adore John's other amazing novels too!

    ReplyDelete